Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A Mystery Resovled - Below the Root

This was one of the most awesome games I played in 1984. For the past year or so, I had been trying to recall the title- without success. I was able to visualize the game, but I couldn't even remember if I played on the C64, the Atari, or possibly the Apple II or Sega... I knew that the player could choose different characters 'be' during the game, each with unique strengths/weaknesses... I knew that the players had to move through the trees and interact with other characters in order to further the game... and that eventually the games shifts to caves and tunnels underground.

I searched and searched the massive internet databases to try to locate comprehensive lists of 1980s games, or seeking some combination of 'adventure game' 'trees' 'tunnels' 'choose your character'.... Plenty of other old forgotten games were found, but not this one. I eventually found the title by Googling 'grunspreke', which I thought was a spell that could be cast in the game. So thrilled to have found this game again. Now I know the game was based on a trilogy from the late 70s, that there are whole game walk-thrus available, and that the game was so advanced for its time. Next, I'm going to find a copy to download so I can play again!

No comments: